Book DetailAuthor/Editor(s): R.L. Trask, Peter Stockwell
Publication Date: July 16, 2007
Size: 1.59 MB
Book DescriptionA comprehensive and critical A-Z guide to the main terms and concepts used in the study of language and linguistics, definitions featured include:
- terms used in grammatical analysis
- branches of linguistics from semantics to neurolinguistics
- approaches used in studying language from critical discourse analysis to systemic linguistics
- linguistic phenomena from code-switching to conversational implicature
- language varieties from pidgin to standard language.
This fully updated second edition includes a new introduction, a wide range of new entries (reflecting developments in linguistics) and added specialized further reading for lecturers and more advanced students.